Mateo turned two months old last Sunday. Wowie! Time has really flown by and there’s never a dull moment in my home. When I started my post-pregnancy weight-loss journey, I was motivated to lose the 35 lbs I had gained in my pregnancy, plus another 5 lbs. Two months after giving birth, I was 2 pounds shy of my goal, and today I am only one pound away from that goal. Yippeee!!!
I have shared all my weight-loss secrets along the way, in addition to my favorite healthy and low-calorie recipes. I am really inspired by those of you who have written to me and let me know that you’re also eating healthier and working out :). Makes all this sharing worthwhile!
I want to reiterate the things that really have helped me shed the weight.
* Breastfeeding: Burns an extra 300-500 calories daily! If you can’t breastfeed, then add one hour of high-impact cardio 3-5 times a week to burn those extra calories.
* No eating out: For the first six weeks when I shed the bulk of the weight, I cooked all my meals at home and did not eat out. This is because restaurant food (although yummy!) usually has loads of hidden calories from oil and butter.
* Healthier Choices: I focused my meals around protein and fiber rich foods, in addition to healthy fats. I stayed away from empty calories such as sweets and chips that have no nutritional value.
* Keeping a Diary: For the first six weeks, I tracked all my meals using the app “MyFitnessPal” to make sure I was getting the right amount of calories, protein, fiber, carbs, etc. Once I got a hang of how many calories I was consuming in foods, and how to measure my servings, I didn’t need to keep tracking.
* Motivation: I used a variety of sources to keep me on track including a healthy eating buddy aka my husband. I also followed several healthy eating and fitness driven instragram accounts such as @censkiii, @healthytaste and @forever_fitness.
*Gym-time: At six weeks post-partum, I began a workout regimen that included power walks with the babies around my neighborhood and circuit-training sessions. I follow @censkiii, @forever_fitness and @tribesports on instagram for workout programs.
*Skinnytaste.com: I’ve been making a lot of delicious recipes from this website, which makes eating at home feel like you’re eating at a restaurant, because every recipe is so dang good!
Now that I’m at a weight I’m comfortable with, I do enjoy eating out occasionally and indulge a bit here and there. But I continue to eat healthy 85-90% of the time and work out 3-4 times a week to tone and build muscle. I’m really proud of my progress, but the whole point is…If I can do it after having three kids, you can too!!!!!
UPDATE 1/16/2015: I took a break but I am back on MyFitnessPal as MakeupbyAnaB. I am also active on Instagram at @Love_AnaB where I share more inspiration on food, family, and fitness. My beauty and fashion Instagram is @MakeupbyAnaB. <3 Thanks for stopping by!
Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. This info is based on my own research and experience, and it is what works for me, but we are all different. When it comes to your diet and fitness postpartum, go at a pace you are comfortable with and works best for you.